Getting make-up stains out of a carpet can seem a near impossible task at times. Even though it may seem so difficult, have a look at our tips on how you can successfully remove these stains.
1. When you have noticed there is a make-up stain, it is wise to act quickly. Make sure to remove any excess make up by hand before you begin the process.
2. Apply isopropyl alcohol to a clean white cotton cloth or a cotton swab. Carefully dab at the stained fibres, placing downward pressure on the fibre. Do not rub the stain as this may spread the stain.
3. Blot the stain using a dry, clean cloth or white paper towels, and repeat the process until you no longer see transfer of the stain to the cloth. Be sure to limit how much alcohol you apply. If it soaks through the carpet to the backing it can cause damage to the latex glue that bonds the carpet fibres to the backing.
4. When you no longer see continuing colour transfer to the cloth, re-apply a small amount of alcohol and blot again with a clean dry cloth. Continuing blotting with alcohol until there is no more colour transfer.
5. Rinse the carpet with water by blotting the area with a wet sponge and blot dry.
6. If a stain remains, use a mild generic carpet stain remover and follow the instructions on the bottle. Alternatively mix a few drops of Fairy liquid with 250ml of warm water and apply this several times. Never rub hard. Just gently work the mixture in and blot it up repeatedly.
7. Rinse again with cold water and blot repeatedly.
8. Create airflow with a fan to speed drying.
These procedures will reduce the impact of the stain and possibly remove the stain. Make sure to act quick, if you leave these stains for longer than 24 hours, professional help might not resolve this!